Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Spice-Rubbed Flank Steak with Toasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa

Salsa
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 ear of corn (I used 1 can of corn kernels)
  • 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
  • 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine (I had a yellow pepper so I just used that instead)
  • 1/2 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced (I used a whole one :) )
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I bought all natural lime juice in a bottle, just seemed easier!)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 scallion, sliced thin
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • salt and pepper to preferred taste

1. Heat 11/2 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until simmering. Add corn, stir occasionally and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. (Mine took around 7-10 because I used it from a can, you will need to drain the corn first if you decide to use canned corn as well)

2. Meanwhile, I chopped/minced the bell pepper, jalapeno, scallion, garlic, cilantro together. Rinsed the beans and added the lime juice.

 3. After the corn was a golden brown, I transferred the kernels into the bowl with the rest of the salsa, wrapped it and put it in the the fridge.

Steak
  • 1 (11/2 lbs) flank steak, trimmed of fat
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
4. In a small bowl mix together: cumin, chili powder, coriander, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and pepper. Then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the meat.

5. Heat the canola oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Then brown the steak well on the first side, around 5 minutes. Flip the steak over, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the meat registers 125 degrees (For medium-rare..yuck).  5-10 minutes longer. I cooked mine until it was medium-well. Over all it took around 15-18 minutes, but I eventually cut the flank steak into slices because I wanted to make sure it was cooked how I wanted, since I don't own a thermometer I couldn't get a read on the temperature!

6. If you decide to leave the flank whole, then after you're done cooking the steak, let it rest for about 5 minutes on your carving board. Finally, slice the steak thin against the grain and serve with corn salsa!
                                                                 Yum Yum, enjoy

4 comments:

  1. My baby girl...all grown up!! It looks DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good Al! What is the steak and salsa served with (in the last picture)? I need you to come to my house and help me cook this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like au graten potatoes. how the HECK do you have the time and patience to do this?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you! This looks great, and I love how you incorporated in tips!

    ReplyDelete